Stop Food Waste Day, 29th April 2020
Recipe idea from our executive chef, Sam Morgan: Kale Stem Vegan Pesto
Our venue may be temporarily closed, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but we are still committed to fighting food waste, even at home. Slight changes to our habits can significantly reduce food waste and by using every aspect of each ingredient we can all do our bit. This vegan pesto recipe has been created by our Executive Chef Sam Morgan to recognise Stop Food Waste Day 2020. It has been designed to use leftover kale stems that people often throw away and to take advantage of cupboard ingredients. It can be added to courgetti, spaghetti, spread onto a slice of bread or used to dress roasted veg or a fresh salad. If you can’t get your hands-on nutritional yeast, a drop of marmite will give the dish that delicious cheese-like flavour. (V, VE, GF, DF)
Sam Morgan, Executive Chef
Makes: one small Kilner (enough for 4)
- 50g pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 40g kale stems
- 50ml olive oil
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast or Marmite
- Pinch of salt
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Toast the pine nuts in a pan until coloured, allow to cool.
- Into a food blender add the kale stems, garlic, toasted pine puts and a small amount of oil. Whilst the mixer is still running, add the remaining oil.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast (or marmite), salt & lemon juice to taste.
- Put into a clean Kilner or jam jar and place into the fridge until required.
- Tuck in and feel good about having reduced your food waste.